This post isn’t for the faint of heart–or liver.
I’ve been kicking this idea around for a while to make a list of the biggest/best/awesomest parties and festivals from all around the world, and systematically attending them. You’ll find the current list at the bottom of this post, and I encourage you to suggest others!
So what about the PARTY TEAM? Well, if you’re the jet-setting, adventure-seeking, pretty-bitchin-awesome type of person, I invite you to come along for this rad journey. You don’t have to come for all of the events, but I’d love to assemble a crew who can descend on any festival whether it’s Mardi Gras, Carnival, or La Tomatina and GO HARD. Like I said before: DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES?
If you’re reading this, you just might…
If you want to learn more, the list of events is below. I’m arranging them in a rough order of how I’m thinking of attending them, starting with US/Canada events and moving farther abroad. Anything past the first two or three is not in any sort of order other than how soon I found them.
A Few Considerations Regarding The List
There are certain festivals that I’m excluding here because they didn’t appeal to me, I’ve already done them, or they are so well-known that it’s almost not worth mentioning. Among these are St. Patrick’s Day in Ireland or NYC and Halloween in any large US city.
There are so many music/arts festivals in the US and other countries that I couldn’t possibly attend all of them. I’m targeting the biggest music festivals, and ones that cater towards my taste in music (electronic dance music).
I selected most of these events because they seemed fun or weird. Unique experiences FTW..
There are also a few that I excluded because I’ve already been to them! The list of “Attended” festivals is at the bottom of this list.
The Definitive Extreme Party List:
- Burning Man (Black Rock, Nevada)
- SXSW (Austin, Texas)
- Calgary Stampede (Calgary, Canada)
- Mardi Gras (New Orleans)
- Carnival (Rio de Janiero, Brazil) (or maybe in Trinidad?)
- Boi Bumba (Parintins, Brazil)
- Ati-Atihan (Philippines)
- Ibiza (Spain)
- Full Moon Party (Thailand)
- Queen’s Day (Amsterdam)
- Running Of The Bulls @ Fiesta San Fermin (Spain)
- La Tomatina (Spain)
- kaZantip (Ukraine)
- Ultra Music Festival (Miami)
- Holi (India)
- Bob Marley Birthday Bash (Jamaica)
- Cooper’s Hill Cheese Rolling (England)
- Monaco Grand Prix (Monaco)
- White Nights (St. Petersburg)
- Glastonbury Festival (England)
- Aloha Festivals (Hawaii)
- Galway Oyster Festival (Ireland)
- Joust of the Saracen (Arezzo, Italy)
- Exit Festival (Serbia & Montenegro)
- Penis Festival (fine, “Harvest Festival) (Japan, obviously)
Awesomely Attended Festivals List
- Oktoberfest (Munich, Germany)
- Coachella (Indio, California)
- West Hollywood Halloween Carnival (California)
- Bay To Breakers (San Francisco)
PS- Party Team Extreme abbreviates as PTX. There is definitely a way to make that into an insignia and stamp it all over everything. Consider that when you’re thinking about joining.
Update (April 2012): I’ve attended Bay To Breakers — it was amazing. I also have my ticket for Burning Man this year and am planning to attend!